Sunday 4 November 2007

When the going gets tough the tough get going


I believe it's time to redefine the meaning of terrorism.

Okay, friend - I'll ask you a question. Terror is synonymous with fear. So tell me. How can you terrorize someone who knows not the meaning of fear?

Our friend Brigadier Adam Zahir at the Maldives Police Services seems to think otherwise. He is under the impression that the uniformed heavies he employs can instil terror. They might in some people but not those who have graduated from the gutters.

In all my life there are few words in English which I have tried to understand but failed miserably. Danger, fear and surrender - I've heard the words but am still contemplating about it's true meaning. Perhaps some day I may understand. Perhaps not.

For now - the trap set by Adam Zahir has recoiled back on him.

According to the regulations set by the police they are supposed to inform a person the reasons for his arrest within 24 hours from the moment of arrest.

I was informed of the reasons. It states that I was arrested on suspicion of smoking drugs in a room at M. Fadigge' - my parent's address - whereas the court documents states that I was standing outside the door of M. Sadikuge' in front of the shop named 'Items'. Since I have read the documents I have been looking for this Sadikuge' but so far I have not succeeded. Maybe it's time to get into a taxi and check it out for taxi drivers are normally privy to a lot of places that we ordinary folks do not know.

The one document that I have yet to obtain is the document that advised me of the reasons for my arrest. Since October 21, 2007 I have been repeatedly requesting for this document from the Maldives Police Services but the girls behind the counter simply says DEU - DEU… (Drug Enforcement Unit)

And I on my part have given the police an ultimatum. Starting from 9 September 2007 - the date I was sentenced - they have 90 days. There are 3 choices. One: Give me the required document. Two: Give me back my passport. Three: Give me a job at the Maldives Police Services. The choice is Adam Zahir's to make.

Okay - the police have sworn at the court but it doesn't mean a thing. The one thing I know is that a person cannot be in two different locations at the same time.

Time is running and Adam Zahir may perhaps be able to teach me the real meaning of terrorism.








by Ali Rasheed, 03 November 2007


No comments: